Learn about basic sailboat designs and nomenclature, rigging, and safety from experienced USPS sailors. Then tackle the physical aspects of sailing forces and techniques, sail applications, marlinespike, helmsmanship, and handling of difficult sailing conditions. This course will benefit non-sailors as well as novice and experienced sailors.
- Types of sailboat rigs and hull shapes, including sail configurations and standing rigging
- Wind and water forces affecting sailboat stability and balance
- Sail shape and tuning the standing rig
- Steering and helmsmanship
- Sailing upwind, downwind and spinnaker handling
- Heavy weather sailing and storm conditions
- Boat operations including docking, anchoring and safety issues
Course completion is usually accomplished in nine two-hour sessions, followed by a closed book exam.No Fields Found.