Advanced Marine Navigation
You are invited to attend the 2022 Advanced Marine Navigation class.
Advanced Marine Navigation is the second in the sequence of USPS courses on navigation. It continues to build coastal and inland navigation skill, allowing you to take on more challenging conditions – unfamiliar waters, limited visibility, and extended cruises. GPS is embraced as a primary navigation tool while adding radar, chartplotters, and other electronic navigation tools. As with Marine Navigation, the course includes many in-class exercises, advancing your skill through hands-on practice and learning.
Topics covered include:
• Review of skills learned in Marine Navigation
• Advanced positioning techniques such as advancing a line of position
• Other electronics: radar, depth sounders, autopilots, chartplotters, laptop computer software, etc.
• Hazard avoidance techniques using electronics (e.g., “keep out” zones in GPS)
• Collision avoidance using radar and GPS
• Working with tides: clearances, depth, effects of current
• Piloting with wind and currents
• The “Seaman’s Eye” – simple skills for checking that one is on course
Advanced registration is required so that adequate materials may be ordered. Cost of the course for USPS members is $100.00 or $150 for nonmembers
To register, contact me at 941-400-6467 or email@example.com. You may also register on-line at Sarasota-boating.org but please call or email me if you do.
January 12, 2023 Mondays 1900-2100 11 Sessions. Successful completion of Marine Navigation is a prerequisite.